Kyle, Nuray, Wenbo, and I (Robyn) headed out to the field today to take a first whack – literally! – at removing galls from trees. For today we focused only on removal so we could get a feel for how long this step is going to take. Our first few trees went pretty quickly, then we hit a few that had gall numbers in the 100s and 200s. One tree with about 187 galls took us a little over 17 minutes and another tall tree with 277 galls took us about a half hour. We removed galls from a total of 15 trees on the east side today. If we want to apply all the treatments in 3 or 4 days, we will have to do more work per day. There definitely was a learning curve to the process, and things should hopefully go faster the rest of the week!
We collected and individually bagged two galls per tree. We threw all of the galls we removed in a large trash bag, then dumped them in a part of the site far away from any of our treatment trees. We didn’t see the need to collect hundreds of galls and kill all the critters inside.
All in all, it was quite a fun day! If you guys have some strees/anger to release, come whack some galls off trees!
Kyle pioneered a technique for getting the galls that were highest up. It involved a fully extended pole and little hop!